15 April 2011

When I don't post here...

When I don't post on my Official Moving To Abu Dhabi And Leaping Into The TEFL World blog, it's either because:

a) facebook has stolen my will to blog

b) facebook has stolen my will to live

c) I'm ranting somewhere else

d) I'm thinking VERY HARD about writing something for me, instead of for posterity

or  e) I'm busy.

Today, though, I started reading a blog from another teacher who went to the UAE last year. Her blog doesn't end well, but it's so interesting to read! And, I mean, even unhappy endings have their place. And this teacher posted something interesting and amusing seemingly every day during her wait to go to Abu Dhabi! That inspires me and makes me wish I was a better blogger (wish I were a better blogger? well, wish my antiquated grammatical rules were clearer, at any rate). Maybe I should strive to be amusing and entertaining (and sometimes informative) every day!

Maybe I should spend less time with my group of teachers on facebook.



Maybe I should go to the gym more.


Maybe I should eat less refined carbohydrates and drink more water.


Maybe I should. Alas, I mostly amble through life taking the path of least resistance and having a good time. (And teach to the best of my ability and the highest of my students' goals, of course!)




But.....I think I prefer to enjoy life. Maybe this is the thing that will see me through the dark days of confusion and cross-communication that not doubt lies ahead until I get my bearings in Abu Dhabi (well, that and the fact that I need this job something fierce): when all else fails, at least I can still have a laugh. Sit back, relax, let life happen as it will, rather than try to force it to conform to my ever buoyant expectations.

One thing I fear, going back into schools, is getting sucked into all the drama. Drama happens, and I kind of just shut down. That's my defence mechanism: turtle.

Are you done yet?
But schools - or more specifically, schoolteachers - are a tidal force of drama. We act out, each in our own ways but eerily similar to the ways our students act: primary teachers tell, secondary teachers clique up, and middle school teachers do a bit of both. And once the drama starts, it's REALLY hard to stop. Especially when you're me and want to listen to everything everyone has to say about whatever issue is supposedly at the root of any given drama.


(Note for posterity: just about all workplace drama - all manufactured drama in general, come to think of it - is an issue of pride, and whose pride is going to be sacrificed on a given day. Bleh.)

I am so not into drama that when I am bent on creating my own (and let's face it, everyone has those moments), I go to my rant blog. Everyone should have a rant blog. Mine is set to super-extra private and is not attached to my other blogs. It is where I go to express my psychological ugly side. Some people use actual journals instead of blogs, but I like the blogging. It feels like I've put my negative energy away from myself. Journals are great for secrets and writing trashy novels and making lists (my journals are all half shopping list, half daydream), but secrets and lists are things to be kept. Ranting is something that, when I'm done with it, I want far from me.

And then I listen to some classic Tim Minchin or Russell Brand clips, have a laugh, and carry on with my life.


Still not posting.

Until something comes up.

Which it hasn't.

Yet.


Thank pete.









(ps - sometimes, when I'm in a really dark place, I watch Josh Groban on NMTB or listen to this song. And I can't help but be happy again!)

pps - or this:

best song in the WORLD

3 comments:

Unknown said...

Mimi, well said. I wish I had the creative writing abilities to write as well as you do. You touched a spot that defines exactly how I'm feeling as well, except for the blogging but I do tell the same story as you to my friends and family as my writing would not be able to define my feelings as well as your blog can. I really hope we will get to meet in AD

Mimi said...

Cheers Magdalena (Magda, perchance?) - I'm sure we'll meet up in AD. Fun must be had, drama must be escaped.

Marianne said...

I want to escape drama and start writing, and be the best teacher I can be.