11 February 2011

Collecting Stamps

Today I received my teaching contract via email. I was surprised, as I expected to hear next week, not this. If Teach Away keeps surpassing my expectations like this, I'll be in the UAE before I can even buy sunscreen!

The contract is fairly straightforward. It's for 2 years, offers right about the pay I expected (and that, I admit, made my sister a bit jealous), and includes all extras mentioned (such as flights, furniture allowance, sick leave and probationary time (the first year). I will be flying out of Detroit, which should please my family, and I shall finally be able to pay off my student loans!

Next step is getting my documents authenticated. I only have two documents, happily: my teaching certificate and my degree. And I live in the state capital, so I should be able to get the first two steps (notarized and stamped by the Secretary of State) done Monday!

We have to get all these signatures and seals and stamps on color copies, not on the original documents.

There will be a fee at each step, for each document. For the first two steps, though, it is nominal. All it will take is time. (And, given my experience getting things done with South Carolina government offices, it'll probably take all day.)

After you get the "foreign use stamp" from your Secretary of State, it's off to the US Department of State. It's $8 per document there, and expect it to take 4-6 weeks. (That's what the website says, anyhow.)

Last step is also the most costly, $30 per document. Once you have all the correct stamps and seals and signatures, it's time to send your bits of paper off to the UAE Embassy. Last step! Well.....for now.

After reading about all the problems other people have had getting their paperwork in order and completed in a timely fashion, I don't foresee too much trouble here. The steps seem clear enough. So far. Ask me again on Monday.

1 comment:

Mimi said...

Ah.....oh. So I can't get my docs authenticated in South Carolina. They have to go back to Texas and California. Good times, I'm sure. Well, at least it's February. I should still be able to get everything sorted by the end of March.